History of the Warwick Vines Motel

Warwick Vines Motel History

 71-73 Wood Sreet Warwick Qeensland 4370 Austraila

Built in the 60’s the building was originally named Ikes’s Motel. Owned by Ike, a shop was situated on the corner of Wantley and Wood Streets Warwick,displaying a large ice cream cone advertising Tip Top ice cream, often recalled by visiting guests today.   In 2003 the building changed ownership was refurbished and became “The Golden Harvest Motel.”

Based on past history of the region the motel was renamed “Warwick Vines Motel” by new Management, in July 2016.

Situated only a short distance from the prominent wine growing region of Stanthorpe, where first vines were planted at Ballandean in 1930. Warwick Vines Motel owes it’s name to the history of the first vineyard planted 10 kms northwest of Warwick in the Sandy Creek, Toolburra area.

Early settlers, German Immigrants Jacob and Elisabetha Kircher were among the first in the district to establish commercial wine production on a substantial scale. The first 1000 vines being planted in c 1864. the Vineyard at Sandy Creek was proudly named after the then celebrated Assmanshausen wine producing district on the Rhine in Germany. By 1876 Assmanshausen was the principal vineyard in the Warwick district producing white and red grapes.

In 1920 the famous Assmanshausen Vineyard was renamed, “Toolburra Vineyard” by new owner Henri Macquarie Serisier. The property was sustained until the onset of World War Two when the vineyard fell into decline and the winery ceased production in the early 1940’s.

The Assmanshausen Winery residence can be seen today on Serisier Road,Tolburra.

The residence was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 6th January 1999

.“Assmanshausen.”Wikipedia.” Wikipedia.org. n.p. Web. 7 November 2016

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save